BAPHL X: Bostonian Association of Picking Hunt Locations
- BAPHL 10 was run on June 28, 2014 at Copley Square (and nearby areas) from 11am to 6:30pm EDT.
41 teams (32 varsity, 9 intramural) participated in BAPHL 10. 16 teams finished before wrapup at 6:30.
- After BAPHL success in Providence, other cities across the United States were chomping at the bit to host BAPHL 10, and so participants were tasked with joining up with the Bostonian Association of Picking Hunt Locations to decide which city would earn the honor of hosting ("the future") BAPHL 10.
Teams were split among three locations by solving an icebreaker puzzle with rebuses for those city names, each a round of puzzles for one of three candidate cities. Solving the round's metapuzzle informed solvers why that city was not a good fit for BAPHL. After eliminating all three options, solvers returned to the starting location to solve two final meta puzzles to pick a different city and the reason why it should be chosen. See the puzzles or solutions to find out where and why!
- We used Cluekeeper for hint distribution and solution confirmation. ClueKeeper also tracked solve time based on when teams opened rounds inside the app, and it provided its own separate rankings for varsity and intramural teams based on these records. However, not all teams signed into the app at the same time they received puzzle packets from BAPHL organizers and began solving puzzles, leading to inaccuracies in the Cluekeeper times. Therefore, Cluekeeper rankings may vary from the (more accurate) pen-and-paper-tracked times below, which were used to announce winning teams during the wrap-up.
||Finish time (pm)
|Death From Above 2: More Death From Further Above
|Quarks and Gluons
|Death From Above
|Bigfield Fighting Koobish
|Large Scantron Collider
|The Natural 20s
|This Space Intentionally Left Blank
|Me Like That Fourth Clue
Lexington High Puzzlers Are Beast was the only intramural team to complete the second metapuzzle before the wrap-up, finishing at 6:25pm. Arc Tangrams, another intramural team, was able to complete the first metapuzzle before wrap and were close to finishing at 6:30.
- The writing team for BAPHL 10 was several members of Immoral, Illegal, & Fattening and friends.
- Puzzle construction, event design, and organization
- Chris Cieslik, Ross Corliss, Nathan Curtis, Joel Fried, Ata Gurpinar, Jason McIntosh, Rebecca Payne, Amy Swartz, Julia Tenney, Julia Urquhart, Rebecca Vessenes
- Graphics and design
- Julia Tenney
- Test solvers and other contributors
- Avram Gottschlich, Ken Levin, Marc Spraragen, Dan Katz, Jackie Anderson, Seth Kleinerman, Anna Kim, Team Lynx in Seattle, Just-Us League, Kate Farb-Johnson, Andrew Greene, Andy Latto, Rebecca Rogers, Joe Cabrera, Andrew Plotkin